Monday, January 18, 2010

Martin Luther King Day.. Thoughts

Well today is Martin Luther King Jr. Day, a day celebrated by most adolescent Americans as a valued and rare three-day weekend. I cannot lie, for I have mostly celebrated in similar circumstances for the majority of my life, but today the ignorant and self-serving celebrating comes to a halt and I, subsequently, share my thoughts on this day--dedicated specifically to a man, and more generally to a civil rights movement paramount to the society of America since its inception, and with grave importance still today. When I think about MLK, I think about the paper I had to write about his "I have a dream" speech three years ago, I think about his "I have a dream" speech, I think about civil rights, and I guess pretty much anything that most people come up with when thinking about MLK. But as I try to reflect deeper within myself, more thoughts arise: Isn't it interesting we have come so far in terms of civil rights over the past 50, 100 even 150 years, yet still live in prejudice-dominated society strongly fearing of diversity and change? Whats going to happen in the next 50 years? Are we going to become a free-loving equality-preaching utopia led by the next MLK, or will some toned-down-pseudo-Hitler bring us right back to were we started, after there's a nuclear holocaust? Or are we most likely going to travel along the same inefficient road we've been on since the revolution, more laws passed and more insecurity growing among those fearful of change and needy of power? Well certainly MLK was quite the guy, perhaps not more deserving of his own national holiday as many other qualified individuals, but symbolism of what he fought for cannot be denied, and I think that this symbolism is important upon acknowledging the holiday, as perhaps there is not so much celebrating to really be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment