Thursday, February 17, 2011

The Internet.... is great!!


This week I read a few stories about... the internet? Well, maybe, probably, I mean really it's tough to say. One story by Jorge Borges (which by the way is quite a name, but then consider the full name, Jorge Francisco Isidoro Luis Borges Acevedo) was about a forking garden of sorts and the other by Bill Viola was about a porcupine and a car. When you read The Garden of Forking Paths it seems very obvious that Borges is indeed alluding to the internet, but alas he wrote it before 1950, how can this be? Alas perhaps the thing we know as the 'internet' is actually a metaphor for something else that has all ready existed, but what then? Perhaps this garden refers to 'knowledge', or the infinite history that both precedes and proceeds us. Or maybe Borges is simply referring to the perplexing infinite nature of our universe? Or--and this is my favorite theory--Borges was the smartest man ever and invented time travel, traveled forward in time, observed the internet first hand, came back to 1944 and explained it in the most poetic yet understandable way possible. I mean seriously he's talking about the internet, crazy. Like Borges, I too have experienced the internet, and continue to experience it on a very regular (regimented?) basis. My current project of combining both my food portraits, obsession of snake, and likeness to Magic Johnson, is heavily reliant on the internet. But how you ask? Well for starters I often use the internet before making my Magic Johnson PowerPoint presentations. I also use the internet to get my images for my food portraits, but most importantly I use the internet as a platform for snake playing. Now you say "oh, well you could just play snake on your computer or cell phone." But I respond as such: first of all cell phone snake sucks, lets not even go there, second of all I need to play snake online so I can compete against everyone else in the world playing snake thus proving my worthiness as both snake player and college student. So the internet is great! For now, but it may only be a matter of time before the freedom we now enjoy becomes a.) extremely regulated, or b.) the power that will eventually enslave all humans. Certainly we seem to be playing Russian roulette here with our abuse of technology, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't living it up. Considering the internet is as fast, virtually cost efficient, and vastly encompassing as it is, it almost seems to good to be true. So I say get it while it's hot, before something implodes.

3 comments:

  1. Striking analysis of Borges and the web. Magic Johnson and snake are interesting uses of the internet that would probably have never existed before people like Borges and Viola began to dream about possibilities like that. Also, it is a prudent point to point out the ease of enslaving the human race once it is all connected by the 'net. I too have been wary of this eventual avenue for robotic and cybernetic domination.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I would have to agree as well. I think your observations are intriguing and interesting. Perhaps the Internet is a metaphor for something that has already existed. Borges wrote so long ago. One thing is for certain, he was well ahead of his time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your justification and critique of Snake playing as art continues to expand in ways that are not immediately obvious. What would you say to yourself 10 years in the future about why you felt Snake playing was so essential to your artistic practice in 2011? Please elaborate in great detail.

    ReplyDelete