Saturday, March 5, 2011

Rich Dadd, Kirsten Boehm, and Me: Wer'e all a Little Crazy


So I had a pretty event filled week, this past week. I learned about the infamous Richard Dadd, and caught a something of a glimpse into the future in hearing Kirsten Boehm speak in multiple formats. Specifically neither of these to artist tied directly to the work I am currently creating, however generally I think the both apply rather appropriately. I too, will soon exit college with little resembling a formulated plan. I'm not really sure I now have any clear answers, but it was nice to get a relative perspective. In terms of me and Rich Dadd, I think that we both liked to think outside the box a little bit--now this is not to say that I think I am possessed with the spirit of Osiris. While Rich Dadd painted fanciful fairies, I am creating metaphorical fairies?? But really it seems quite easy to be considered unusual in this two-partied world we live in.
Anyways, Malcolm Chex is officially underway; I now possess six different types of Chex as well as fifty new HOT glue sticks. The size will be about 150 % larger than the Mahatma Candy. Seeing as I will continue to be quite busy I will now depart.

2 comments:

  1. Definitely agreed about exiting school without an idea about what's going on...awesome.

    I loved learning about Dadd--I ended up liking his work a lot, plus he had a crazy/awesome/hilarious life. Thanks for bringing him to my attention!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You, Kristin and Dadd all have the obsessive craft thing down. Something about the repetition of gluing candy to cardboard, knitting a cozy or painting a legion of faeries seems along the same lines. You may find "self-taught", "outsider" or "art brut" more to your liking than the more mainstream art world stuff. Henry Darger anyone?

    ReplyDelete